Who can represent your relative at NHS Continuing Healthcare assessments?

Who can represent your relative at NHS Continuing Healthcare assessments?

Who can represent your relative at NHS Continuing Healthcare assessments?Who can you take with you to an NHS Continuing Healthcare assessment?

No. 7 in our series of 27 tips on NHS Continuing Healthcare…

In a nutshell, anyone you choose (including you, of course) can represent your relative at NHS Continuing Healthcare assessments.

Some families report being told that a family member must attend alone. Other families report being told that they are not allowed to take a professional advisor with them.

This is nonsense.

It is up to you, as your relative’s main representative, who you choose to support you – and you don’t have to ask the assessors’ for their permission.

In addition, nowhere does it say that a person can have only one representative

The National Framework guidelines (the main NHS Continuing Healthcare guidelines) frequently refer to the importance of family involvement in the assessment process – and the importance of the person being assessed having a representative.

The definition of ‘representative’ in the National Framework is broad – see page 122:

“Any friend, unpaid carer or family member who is supporting the individual in the process as well as anyone acting in a more formal capacity (e.g. welfare deputy or power of attorney, or an organisation representing the individual).”

There’s also nothing to stop any representative and/or family member fully contributing to the discussion during an assessment.

So if you’re told you can’t bring anyone else with you to represent your relative at NHS Continuing Healthcare assessments – or that you (or those you invite to attend with you) can’t speak at the meeting – refer the assessors to their own guidelines.

You’ll find a link to the National Framework and the other main NHS Continuing Healthcare guidelines here.

Tip no. 6: 3 ways to reduce and challenge care fees

Tip no. 8: 3 questions to ask an NHS Continuing Healthcare assessor


  1. Fiona Winstanley 10 months ago

    Why am I being told I can only attend attend a continuing assessement meeting rather than the whole meeting.I have LPA welfare and my mother has lost capacity due to alzheimers.she is in a nursing home and has been since april 18 self funded awaiting assessement

  2. Margaret Scott 1 year ago

    Who is responsible for asking family member to assessment if the patient is under the Mental CapacityAct. I asked CCG if they were responsible for telling me (next of kin) when assessment was to take place and was told it was the nursing homes responsibility. I was not advised by nursing home who I was in dispute with. The patient was assessed without advocacy. Is this right? Is this against the Nhs rules under the National Framework?

  3. Beverley 1 year ago

    Hi we asked if we could take a professional note taker with us. It was refused – we were told they would take full minutes of the meeting. However that did not happen. They then said the Multidisciplinary Team report was good enough as a record of what took place ??

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


2100 characters max. All comments are moderated in line with our Acceptable Use Policy and our Terms of Website Use.