Is your relative claiming their full entitlement to benefits?

Is your relative claiming their full entitlement to benefits?

Even if you are in receipt of NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding, you may still be able to claim additional benefits from the Government.

Here’s a helpful summary of 14 extra benefits you may be entitled to claim. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list, but includes:

1. Attendance Allowance:

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough to warrant additional care.

This is not means-tested.

However, note that, if receiving NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding, your Attendance Allowance will end after 28 days.

Attendance Allowance is paid weekly at 2 different rates and the amount is dependent on the level of care that you need because of your disability.

Rate Level of help you need
Lower rate – £58.70 Frequent help or constant supervision during the day, or supervision at night
Higher rate – £87.65 Help or supervision throughout both day and night, or if you’re terminally ill

You do not have to have someone caring for you in order to claim.

If you do have a carer, they could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.

Read more about Attendance Allowance

2. Bereavement Allowance

You may be able to get a £2,000 Bereavement Payment if all of the following apply:

  • your husband, wife or civil partner died before 6 April 2017
  • you were 45 or over when your husband, wife or civil partner died
  • you’re under State Pension age
  • your late husband, wife or civil partner paid National Insurance contributions, or they died as a result of an industrial accident or disease

Read more about Bereavement Allowance

3. Bereavement Support Payment

You may be able to get Bereavement Support Payment if your spouse or civil partner died on or after 6 April 2017 and you were either:

  • under State Pension age
  • over State Pension age and your husband, wife or civil partner wasn’t entitled to a State Pension based on their own national insurance contributions

Additionally, your husband, wife or civil partner must have either:

  • paid enough National Insurance contributions
  • died because of an industrial accident or disease

Read more about Bereavement Payment

4. Carer’s Allowance

You could get £66.15 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You do not get paid extra if you care for more than one person.

Carer’s Allowance can affect the other benefits that you and the person you care for receive. You have to pay tax on it if your income is over the Personal Allowance.

Read more about Carer’s Allowance

5. Deferred Payment Arrangements

Instead of selling your home to pay for care, you may be able to negotiate a Deferred Payment Arrangement with your local authority; it means you keep hold of the property, the local authority pays your care fees for the time being, and those fees are repaid to the local authority once the house is eventually sold.

Read our blog: What contribution do I have to make towards my care costs, and when?

6. NHS-funded Nursing Care

If your relative has been unsuccessful in their application for NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding, they should automatically be considered for Funded Nursing Care (FNC) if they are living in a care home and need some element of nursing care from a registered nurse.

Read paragraphs 248 to 262 of the National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding and NHS-funded Nursing Care.

FNC is a weekly sum paid by the Clinical Commissioning Group directly to the care home, as a contribution towards the cost of your relative’s nursing care needs. FNC is currently paid at the national rate of £165.56 a week (2019/20), and is not assessed or means-tested, and is tax free.

Read our blog: Have you considered NHS-Funded Nursing Care (FNC)?

7. Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

You might get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) if you became ill or are disabled because of an accident or disease either:

  • at work
  • on an approved employment training scheme or course

The amount you may get depends on your individual circumstances.

Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.

Read more about IIDB

8. Pension Credit

Pension Credit is an income-related benefit made up of 2 parts – Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit.

Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income if it’s below £167.25 (for single people) or £255.25 (for couples). You may still be eligible if you have savings, a pension or your own home.

Savings Credit is an extra payment for people who saved some money towards their retirement, for example a pension.

You may not be eligible for Savings Credit if you reached State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016.

You do not pay tax on Pension Credit.

Read more about Pension Credit

9. Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long-term ill-health or disability.

You could get between £23.20 and £148.85 a week if you’re aged 16 or over and have not reached State Pension age.

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get. Your rate will be regularly reviewed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.

Read more about PIP

10. Warm Home Discount Scheme

If your name or your partner’s name is on your fuel bill, you could be eligible for this.

You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2019 to 2020 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

The money is not paid to you – it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March.

You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. Contact your supplier to find out.

The discount will not affect your Cold Weather Payment or Winter Fuel Payment.

Read more about Warm Home Discount Scheme

11. Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 5 April 1954 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you are eligible and you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

If you’re eligible but do not get paid automatically, you will need to make a claim.

The deadline for claiming payments for winter 2019 to 2020 is 31 March 2020.

Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should have received your money by 13 January 2020.

Any money you get will not affect your other benefits.

Read more about Winter Fuel Payment

12. Cold Weather Payment

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest.

You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below over 7 consecutive days.

The Cold Weather Payment scheme runs from 1 November 2019 to 31 March 2020.

You’ll get £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

Read more about Cold Weather Payment

13. The 12-Week Property Disregard

Remember that your local authority cannot take the value of your property into consideration as part of your assets for the first 12 weeks of your Care

Read our blog: What contribution do I have to make towards my care costs, and when?

14. Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment to help with your living costs.

  • It replaces 6 other benefits, namely: Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Working Tax Credit

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work, 18 or over, are under State Pension age (or your partner is), you and your partner have £16,000 or less in savings between you.

The number of children you have does not affect your eligibility for Universal Credit, but it may affect how much you get.

Standard allowance

Read more about Universal Credit

Additional information

Care To Be Different does not provide financial advice.

We strongly recommend you take professional and independent financial advice when making any decisions about Care Planning, tax and Benefits.

You may also find it helpful to browse the Department for Work and Pensions website and

1 Comment

  1. Elizabeth Paffett 6 months ago

    Thank you…found out more in 10mins reading your informative guidance than in the last 7 years struggling .

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


2100 characters max. All comments are moderated in line with our Acceptable Use Policy and our Terms of Website Use.