Claiming benefits

Claiming benefits

Make sure you’re claiming all the benefits you’re entitled to

Claiming benefits

These may include:

  • Attendance Allowance: This is not means-tested. (Note: If/when you receive NHS Continuing Healthcare your Attendance Allowance may stop; note – it may not necessarily stop if you’re receiving care at home – always check); read more about Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance: From 2013 this will be replaced by the new Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Pension Credit
  • Winter Fuel Payment: This is not means-tested.
  • Warm Home Discount: If your name or your partner’s name is on your fuel bill, you could be eligible for this
  • 12-Week Property Disregard: Remember that your local authority cannot take the value of your property into consideration as part of your assets for the first 12 weeks of your Care
  • Housing Benefit: While you’re still living at home, make sure you’re receiving the right Housing Benefits
  • Registered Nursing Care Contribution (Funded Nursing Care)
  • Carers Allowance (if relevant)
  • Note about Council Tax: If your home is empty, your Council Tax bill may be nil; and if you’re a carer for a disabled person you may be entitled to a discount
  • Deferred Payment Arrangements: Instead of selling your home to pay for care, you may be able to negotiate a Deferred Payment Arrangement with your local authority; it means you keep hold of the property, the local authority pays your care fees for the time being, and those fees are repaid to the local authority once the house is eventually sold.

[Note: this is not a comprehensive list.]

Additional information

Care To Be Different does not provide financial advice. We strongly recommend you take professional and independent financial advice when making any decisions about Care Planning, tax and Benefits.

For more information about benefits, explore some of the websites on our links and resources page. The Alzheimer’s Society website has useful information, as does Carers UK.

You may also find it helpful to browse the Department for Work and Pensions website and

NHS Continuing Healthcare

This is NHS funding and it covers 100% of your care fees. Find out more about NHS Continuing Care and how you can claim it.

1 Comment

  1. Helen Marie 1 week ago

    Regarding Council Tax reduction/reimbursments – do you give any guidance to help with this? My Mum has advanced Parkinson’s (diagnosed 12 years ago), and my Father has had a stroke. I believe that Mum should not have been paying Council Tax since diagnosis, and Dad should have a reduction due to living with a person who is ‘severely mentally impaired’. I have asked for the claim forms from Trafford Council. On the telephone the lady said that there is no eligibility until the person is in receipt of Attendance Allowance. But I have researched this and found it not to be the case legally, so I think she was being economical with the truth?
    It’s all rather complicated, as they moved house 4 years ago, if I was to apply for a backdated refund it would be to two different councils.
    Does your associated Solicitor help with these matters? I suspect that the council will try and get out of a refund/or offer a small settlement to close the claim.
    Many thanks.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


2100 characters max. All comments are moderated in line with our Acceptable Use Policy and our Terms of Website Use.