Savings thresholds

Long term care means testing – 2013/2014 savings & capital thresholds

Local authority capital and savings thresholds for long-term careIf you’re means-tested for care fees, the local authority will take into account the following capital and savings limits. These figures include the total value of things like your savings, investments and property.

Always bear in mind though that you should be assessed for NHS Continuing Care funding BEFORE you’re means tested.

If your assets are greater than:

England: £23,250

Wales: £23,750

Scotland: £25,250

N.Ireland: £23,250

…you will be told you have to pay for care.

However, you may not have been told that you could be eligible for free NHS Continuing Healthcare.

If your assets are between:

England: £14,250 – £23,250

Wales: £23,750 – £23,750 (the upper and lower limits are the same)

Scotland: £15,500 – £25,250

N. Ireland: £14,250- £23,250

… you will be told to pay for some of your care.

If your assets are below:

England: £14,250

Wales: £23,750

Scotland: £15,500

N. Ireland: £14,250

… your local authority will pay for your care, but may still take a proportion of your income. Read more about means testing on the AgeUK website.

You are entitled to keep:

England: £23.90/week

Scotland: £23.90/week

Wales: £24.50/week

N. Ireland: £23.90/week

…as your Personal Expense Allowance (PEA).

If you have health needs:

…make sure you’re assessed for NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding. Contact the Continuing Care Department at your local NHS Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) – formerly the Primary Care Trust (PCT). (In Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland this will be at your local Health Board, Health Care Cooperative or Health and Social Care Group.)

It doesn’t matter how much or how little money you have, the first question anyone in ‘authority’ should ask you is about your health needs, NOT your money.

Before you start paying for care…

The financial information on this site is a brief introduction and is not financial advice. Always take professional advice from a qualified independent financial adviser before making any decisions based on this information and before paying for care. Make sure the adviser not only understands elderly care matters, but also understands the NHS’s duty to pay for care through NHS Continuing Healthcare funding.