NHS Continuing Healthcare

NHS Continuing Care is funding provided by the NHS for people in full time care

Elderly people and NHS Continuing HealthcareIt’s for people who are assessed as having a ‘Primary Health Need’.

NHS Continuing Healthcare is also known as ‘Continuing Care’ or ‘Fully Funded NHS Care’.

Over the last 3-4 years we have been contacted by over 1,000 families needing help navigating the Continuing Healthcare funding system. Many have never been told about NHS funding by the health and social care authorities, and yet the NHS has a duty to promote this funding.

Listen to the BBC’s File on 4 programme: ‘Continuing Healthcare – The Secret Fund’, broadcast on 18/11/14. It highlights some of the problems families experience in the funding assessment process.

What does NHS Continuing Care cover?

It covers 100% of care fees for people who need full-time care primarily for health reasons, i.e. they have a Primary Health Need. It’s available whether you’re in a care home, in your own home, in a hospice or somewhere else.

  • If you’re in a care home, NHS Continuing Healthcare covers all care fees, including the costs of accommodation.
  • If you’re receiving full time care at home, Continuing Healthcare covers all nursing care plus personal care (bathing, dressing, etc.) plus any household costs directly related to care needs.

It doesn’t matter whether you’re in a residential home or a nursing home, the same rules apply: It’s about your health needs first, not where you live or how much money you have.

The landmark Coughlan case, reinforced the difference between health needs and social care needs.

Should you be assessed?

If you have healthcare needs and you need full-time care, you should have a Continuing Healthcare assessment. NHS guidelines and the Standing Rules Regulations require local Clinical Commissioning Groups (formerly Primary Care Trusts) to assess anyone who appears potentially eligible for Continuing Healthcare.

However, many people find that they are assessed first by the local authority, to test their financial means.

If your local authority does a means test before you’ve been assessed for NHS Continuing Care, it can put the local authority in a potential unlawful position. Why? Because your care needs could be beyond the local authority’s legal remit for providing care, and you could end up wrongly paying. A Continuing Healthcare assessment needs to be carried out to clarify who is actually responsible for paying.

Many people with health and nursing care needs are automatically means tested first, and end up paying, and yet families report there will often have been no assessment for Continuing Healthcare. It is this that has led to thousands of retrospective claims for Continuing Healthcare being made.

What is the ‘National Framework’?

Prior to 2007 each Health Authority had its own eligibility criteria for Continuing Healthcare. The result was a ‘postcode lottery’, great confusion and thousands of complaints to the Health Service Ombudsman.

In 2007 the Department of Health introduced a new ‘National Framework’ for England, with the aim of providing a consistent single assessment process for everyone. Most (but not all) of these National Framework guidelines apply to Wales as well.

This National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care defines NHS Continuing Healthcare as follows:

“‘NHS continuing healthcare means a package of ongoing care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS where the individual has been found to have a ‘primary health need’… Such care is provided to an individual aged 18 or over to meet needs that have arisen as a result of disability, accident or illness. …Eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare places no limits on the settings in which the package of support can be offered or on the type of service delivery.”

Get assessed for Continuing Care.

Read these frequently asked questions about NHS Continuing Healthcare – we’ve included lots of tips to help you.

How to get through a Continuing Healthcare assessment

Care To Be Different was set up by Angela Sherman, after she won a tortuous four-year battle to secure Continuing Healthcare funding for both of her parents. Since then she has had personal contact with over 900 families needing help understanding Continuing Healthcare. Almost all of those families had either not been told about NHS funding when a relative first needed nursing care and/or faced obstacles in the assessment process.Angela Sherman, Director, Care To Be Different

ctbd-books-pay-for-care-newAngela has written a book, How To Get The NHS To Pay For Care, to help families get through Continuing Healthcare assessments and argue their case. It shows you what to do – and what not to do – and it can save you losing everything in care fees. It’s easy to follow and cuts through the confusion to show you step by step how things work.

“We were so grateful to find a clear and helpful guide to the process at a time when my mum was so vulnerable. It gave our family the confidence to successfully fight for NHS funding. The NHS should be ashamed of the way families/carers are treated: incorrect records, withholding information, conflicting information… I felt I must write to thank you for the information.” Rachel

“We have heard today that my mother-in-law is to receive NHS Continuing Care funding. We could not have done it without your book and website. Thank you so much.” Ian Johnson

Read more about this e-book


  1. David sherriff 4 months ago

    Can I claim PIP if I am getting NHS continuing care? I am at home not in a nursing home.

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 4 months ago

      I suspect not, David, but I’m not 100% sure. You may find more here: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/categories/paying-for-care

    • Judy 3 months ago

      The answer to this is yes. PIP is to do with your disability and how it affects your everyday living. NHS Continuing Healthcare is to do with the NHS continuing to meet your healthcare costs wherever you might be.

  2. Jacqueline Ringrose 3 months ago

    My mother was placed in a care home by the Social Services, and as such she has to pay all of her pension to stay there. I am, and was not aware of the Hospital funding No PaY Scheme. Is it possible to transfer to it? Mother nor I were given a choice of Home. She has Dementia, and I was put onto a “vulnerable” list, and left there. I flounder along surrounded by brick walls, and now have no say in her care at all.

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 3 months ago

      Jacqueline – Remember that it doesn’t matter whether or not your mother was placed in the care home by Social Services. That does not affect her entitlement to Continuing Healthcare (CHC). The only thing that matters when looking at a person’s eligibility for CHC is their health and care needs. Their money, the type of home, who placed them there, etc – these are all irrelevant. If you mean Continuing Healthcare when you say ‘hospital funding no pay scheme’, then yes, your mother should be assessed for this to determine whether or not she does have to pay for her care.

  3. claire 3 months ago

    Can you please tell if continual care package covers for full time care for a person in there own home I.e throughout the night also?

    • P J Nichols 3 months ago

      See my note above. My husband’s package of Continuing Healthcare allows 4 visits from carers daily. Apparently there is a facility for overnight care but this means the carer requires overnight accommodation. Otherwise I assume it means a residential nursing home.

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 3 months ago

      Yes, Continuing Healthcare funding is not dependent on where the care is provided; it can be in a care home or in a person’s own home.

  4. P J Nichols 3 months ago

    My husband is being nursed at home with Continuing Healthcare under a local hospice for end stage heart failure. He is normally looked after by me with the aid of carers and the district nurses. He recently spent a week in a local nursing home for respite care. We chose the nursing home from a list given to us by the Hospice. He had a standard room and the cost for the 7 nights was £1200, which is pretty much the norm for all the care homes on the list in our area. We chose it because it offers what he needed in terms of nursing care and was relatively easy for me to get to. We were told we would have to pay top up fees of £500, which we did. I now question whether we should have paid this top up fee but am confused by the legislation regarding when top up fees should be paid by someone having 100% funding from the NHS. Can anyone help?

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 3 months ago

      Top up fees apply to local authority care (social care) only. This is different to Continuing Healthcare. If your husband receives Continuing Healthcare, this funding should cover ALL assessed care needs, i.e. everything he requires for all his care needs. For more on top up fees: http://caretobedifferent.co.uk/care-home-top-up-fees/ Continuing Healthcare cannot be topped up. It is up to the care home to complain to the NHS if the NHS has not paid them enough.

  5. Sandra Williams 3 months ago

    My mum has full nursing care. How many weeks respite a year is she entitled to?

  6. Elaine Sloggett 3 months ago

    My father was sectioned under the mental health act earlier this year due to the continued decline in his dementia/alzhiemers. After the assessment period it was deemed that he more than met the criteria for CHC and we were given a list of homes available. We picked the home most suitable which was also recommended by the hospital staff as being the best for dad’s needs, dad moved in April. In May we were asked to attend a review by CHC. They deemed that he no longer required CHC funding as he appeared to have settled down (dispite there still being documented evidence of violent outburst) we were told the fees would be paid for by Social Services. Although we disagreed with their report, we were told that it was just a case of which pot the money came from and so we proceeded to get all paperwork to them for dad whilst having to then sort mum out mums financial details to get her Pension Credits, as they are now taking all of dads pension and work pension to pay towards his care. We have just been hit with another bomb shell to say that Social Services will only pay a certain amount of the fees as the care home is a specialist dementia home and more expensive than others and asked if we (the family) could pay the difference in cost for the home. My mother has move from a rented 3 bedroom house (family home for over 50 years) to a 2 bedroom so that she can afford the rent as the County Council pay an allowance based on occupancy. She is 82 and the stress is unbearable. What can we do? Dad is still prone to violent outbursts, is doubly incontinent and has to be fed and monitored 24/7. We feel this should fall under CHC, can you offer any suggestions please.

  7. g.gillson 3 months ago

    I live in powys wales what are the differences btween England and Wales.

  8. Cal 3 months ago

    Advice please. My mom who is in a nursing home was given CHC full funding from 30th Sept 2015. We are now being told her needs have increased and
    we have to top up another £190 wk. What should we do.

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 2 months ago

      CHC cannot be topped up – indeed, it would be illegal for the NHS to ask for top ups for NHS care; only local authority care can be topped up. All your mother’s assessed care needs should be covered by the CHC funding – and if the care needs have increased, CHC should cover these too.

  9. Margaret 2 months ago

    My husband has just been awarded continuing CHC but I’ve been told he still needs to continue his standing order to the care home. They say the council top up will discontinue but his contribution has still to be paid.
    This is £1,196.38/ month.
    I don’t understand why as the CHC said he would be refunded from the date the assessment was agreed at panel.
    The home say he still has to pay.

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 2 months ago

      Your husband’s care should be covered in full by CHC funding, Margaret. His payments to the care home should cease with immediate effect and CHC payments backdated to day 29 after the original Checklist (not the actual decision). He should receive a refund of any fees he paid after this date, and the care home should not ask him for any more. CHC is payable from day 29 after the Checklist date regardless of how long it takes the NHS to actually reach their decision.

  10. Diana Cotter 2 months ago

    My 92 year old mum normally lives with me, but she broke her leg in two places last week and has been in hospital for 8 days. When I spoke to the discharge officer today, she told me that mum would have to go into RESPITE care for around 4 weeks until she is able to weight bear, and then into INTERMEDIATE care for rehabilitation. She has said that mum will have to pay the care home fees for the respite period, but this doesn’t seem right to me, because she said herself that mum has to go there because she has medical needs. Nobody mentioned anything about NHS continuing healthcare – they just wanted to know how much money she has! She was very keen to stress the difference between respite and intermediate care, so any advice you could give me would be most welcome.

  11. Janet Benton 2 months ago

    My Dad has suffered vascular dementia for over 5 years and my Mom has cared for him. They are 87 and 86 respectively. We managed to get day services and care in the home for him just over 12 months ago. As his condition worsened and Mom became more tired he went into a EMI nursing unit a couple of days ago for two weeks respite with a view to permanency. On the second night I had a call to say he’d had a fall and had been pacing all night. The night nurse told me his room was unacceptable as it’s too far from the nurses and is in an isolated part of the unit, that he is the most vulnerable patient they have and that he desperately needs one to one care. She tried to do this as part of her shift but clearly having other patients to see to as well this led to his fall. The home are trying to get one to one help from an agency for the two weeks he is in the unit, however, I know this cannot continue for longer than that. How likely is it that we will be able to get CHC for him? The staff are trying hard to document as much evidence as possible in order for this to happen but I’m worried about what happens in the meantime.

  12. J hynes 2 months ago

    My mother was recently in hospital with a chest infection & cellulitis. She has got COPD, under active thyroid, type 2 diabetes & MS. She is unable to stand. We have care three times a day. In May she was diagnosed with lung cancer but no biopsy was done. She is 90 years old and as she had no symptoms it was decided to leave well alone. She is now terrified to be alone at night. I have stayed with her for seven nights as she has been having panic attacks. She was released from hospital on the understanding that a palliative care team would be set up. I’ve been told that she does not qualify for night care as she is not at risk from falling or wandering. What can I do?

  13. Christine Darling 2 months ago

    My 90 year old mother has been living in a residential home which she was moved to by my niece to have her near my niece without consulting the rest of the family. My niece is down as her carer. Her health is really bad and she can no longer do anything for herself. Her flat is filthy and she hasn’t been washed for ages, she had been bed ridden for nearly for weeks. My niece has been coming in and giving her milk and water and then leaving, her bedding has been changed once in nine months. She was admitted to hospital and is now in a rehabilitation ward. They were going to discharge her and send her home but i told them she can’t look after herself. The residential home (mum has a flat, council run) The staff unfortunately think my niece is wonerful as she comes in every day. My niece is also taking money .. in large sums from my mum. Am at my wits end to know what to do.

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 2 months ago

      That sounds really distressing, Christine. Does your niece hold power of attorney? If she does, this could be a matter for the Court of Protection, as she may be abusing that power. If she doesn’t have power of attorney, she has no right to make decisions on behalf of your mum – and the care authorities should not be dealing with her.

  14. Christine 2 months ago

    Hi Angela, no she doesn’t have power of attorney. She is down as next of kin and as her carer. My niece lives ten minutes away and we live about 2hrs away. My husband runs his own business and often works unsociable hours. I don’t drive so sometimes it is hard for us to visit. Mum was worried about money she had in her purse and a safe and gave us permission to take it home with us. We are now accused of theft, which is daft as my husband is the executor of mums Will. I have been told that i am legally her next of kin. If i can get mum to agree, can i get her moved near to me once she has a care package in place? My husband has had enough and just wants them all including mum to just get on with it. I can’t just walk away…

  15. Janet Benton 2 months ago

    Thank you for your advice and the wealth of information on your website. Today I have had the news that my Dad has got the funding and is moving into a specialised Dementia unit with one to one dedicated support. It took me exactly two weeks from doing the initial checklist to get the result I wanted – and despite being told he probably wouldn’t get it as the assessor would say the decline is due to the different environment (he originally went into the home for a two week respite stay but this was extended) – I persevered. Dad’s social worker and psychiatric nurse were absolutely fantastic and worked incredibly hard with me and for my Dad as were the care home in collating and recording every scrap of evidence we needed to secure the funding. I could not fault them at all and it sounds like I have been extremely lucky in that respect. The DST lasted for three hours and although I expected an assessor to be present, they were not there, apparently the bulk of the work is now done by other professionals who have to collate and prepare the application. The meeting consisted of myself, the deputy manager of the care home, the social worker and the psychiatric nurse, all of them worked in their own time to make sure the application was processed quickly. The meeting took place on a Wednesday, the paperwork delivered by hand on the Friday and by the following Monday (today) I was told we had been successful. I do not hold an LPA for my Dad and wonder if that may be a problem in the future if they decide to take it away. However, Dad is not going to recover from his vascular dementia, rather the opposite. I have learnt so much from your website and the CHC stories and feel appalled by some of the experiences recounted. While waiting for the funding my Dad did not have any one to one support for three nights, three nights of wandering the corridors, not sleeping in a bed and falling over. Then he had 10 nights of one to one support for 12 hours overnight resulting in him actually sleeping for short periods in his bed by day 6; eventually the Local Authority agreed to provide 24 hour one to one support for his remaining 5 days. By day 14 we were in a state of limbo, the Local Authority had not approved 24 hour one to one support, the care home wouldn’t keep him without it, he couldn’t go home as the care package at home had been cancelled and he couldn’t be moved to a place who could meet his needs as we didn’t know if the funding application would be successful. In desperation I called my local MP whose secretary was appalled at the situation but had never heard of CHC funding! Finally, at the eleventh hour the LA approved the 24 hour one to one care he so desperately needed while waiting for a decision on the funding. The last 18 days have probably been the most stressful I have ever experienced and I’m at a loss to understand why families have to suffer so much stress and anguish at such a difficult time in their lives. I wish every single family the best of luck and I hope you manage to get as much support as I did, but sadly it seems this is not going to be the case. I am preparing a second letter to my local MP to make him aware of the difficulties faced in securing the funding and intend to pursue it as far as I possibly can.

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 3 weeks ago

      I’m so pleased you were able to secure the funding in such a short time, Janet. Well done for persevering, especially after being told that your dad ‘wouldn’t get it’. That’s such a common statement – and it usually has no basis because no assessment has at that point been done! It’s always good to hear when things have gone well and when the professionals involved have followed the guidelines and gathered the correct evidence. Your dad’s actual care provision prior to that sounds chaotic and, no doubt, distressing. Your sentiments about the stress that families have to go through at these times would, I’m sure, be echoed by many thousands of families across the country and, as you say, many people in public office have never heard of Continuing Healthcare. Thank you for your kind feedback on the Care To Be Different website. I’m glad it’s helpful. You may find that not having an LPA for your dad could potentially be a problem – and it may be worth applying for a Deputyship order.

  16. Lynne 1 month ago

    Mother has dementia with no memory at all. She is 91 and has been put into a care home very quickly for her own safety on xmas eve. This is all new to us and tomorrow they are going to do a financial assessment on her with us. She has all the usual complications with Dementia and memory loss. I am sure I don’t need to do a long list. She has become incontinent and lost all her personal hygiene knowledge and suchlike. We are scared about all the costs. She is under the personal savings limit but does have her own bungalow. Would you please try and help us and explain what you think we should have to pay. The social services man that saw her the day before she went in taken into the care home and talked about mental health??? Please can you help I don’t have time to get your book let alone read it the speed things have happened.

  17. Gill Mallard 1 month ago

    My mum is 88 and in a carehome she as Parkinsons disease and I think dementia. She has no long term or short term memory, is double incontinent and unable to walk. She has to be hoisted and all her personal needs have to be done for her including feeding. She is self funding and nearly all her money gone. Two people have mentioned continuing healthcare to me now and wonder if she would qualify. I have joint power of attorney with my sister but sadley she died three days ago. Some advice on how to start would be gratefully received.

  18. Sue Taylor 1 month ago

    My father who is 89 years old has been in a care home for over 5 years since my mother died (she was his carer). He suffers from schizophrenia, dementia and heart problems. His mobility is extremely poor and he is unable to care for himself. He has been self funding during his time in the care home. His savings are now running out and we will need to sell his house to pay his care home fees. We have been told he is not entitled to claim any financial help with the cost of his care. Would he be entitled to NHS continuing health care or any other financial help? I would appreciate any advice please.

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 3 weeks ago

      Sue – as with Gill above, you need to get your father assessed for NHS Continuing Healthcare as soon as possible. That’s the only way to know whether he would qualify. No one can tell you he won’t qualify without the assessment process having been done. Read our FAQs, too: http://caretobedifferent.co.uk/nhs-continuing-healthcare-faqs/

  19. Clementina Chukwu 1 month ago

    I have a 33 year old daughter who is fully funded under the NHS Continuing Healthcare. I work full time Mon to Friday and while I am at work, my daughter attends a day centre for people with profound disabilities. When she was funded by the council, she had a financial assessment and the result was £00.00 contribution to her care package. I provide on going am and pm personal care alone with hoist and do the overnight support due to uncontrolled epilepsy (happy to do this). I get usually one week respite when I go away with other local carers for a break and NHS funds 24 hour support at home. The rest of the respite I use in hours at weekends to do shopping and other tasks.
    Recently day services contacted with invoices saying that NHS will not pay for food and drinks while my daughter is at the centre because it is not part of the care (Speech and Language and Dietician provides weekly monitoring, draws up the diet and trains the staff and I). They want my daughter to fund her own lunch and drinks while at the centre. I have talked to other families and CHC Coordinator in other areas and they confirmed that day care is funded like other services (nursing or residential) with one unit cost and not separated into care, food and drinks. Other families outside my CCG are not paying this so why should she. The answer from her CHC Nurse is that she has benefit to fund such. Unfortunately the family already funds a lot of her costs because her funds go to pay other disability costs like better quality pads for night time and travel since our CCG changed to poor quality pads, daily laundry(heavy sleep system beddings , heavy wheelchair covers and slings, special meals liquidised as prescribed, insurance on replacement of liquidisers, oral care products, antiseptic, bed and chair mats and heating (these are not funded by NHS although I am doing nursing care at home). Has this come up in the past because if right, it should be unified in all areas?

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 3 weeks ago

      Clementina – I agree that it doesn’t seem right that the NHS is not paying for food and drink. NHS Continuing Healthcare provision should be the same regardless of where you are. There are national guidelines, national eligibility criteria and national processes to follow.

  20. Caroline Macfarlane 1 month ago

    My father had Advanced Alzheimers and then went on to get prostate and bone cancer. He originally went into a care home for 6 weeks to give my step mum a break but sadly she couldn’t’t cope and he never went back. Originally he had a local authority Older Adult Needs and Outcomes assessment done by a case worker where he was deemed Eligibility Band:Critical Risk, Eligibility Need:Health and Safety and Eligibilty Code: AC2 Significant Health Problems have developed or will develop. His Annual and Weekly Budget was also noted on the form. He then had to pay for his care from July 2010. We never knew any different until one day another daughter visiting her father told me of the Continuing Care package. My father’s health had deteriorated so much by then that all we managed to do was get him fast tracked so he got the funding for the last 6 weeks of his life.Sadly he died 24/8/2012. We are currently going through a review to see if we qualify for retrospective funding. I wonder if the fact that my late father was means tested at the start and never assessed for NHS continuing care until end of life will have any bearing?

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 3 weeks ago

      Hi Caroline. Yes, your father should most definitely have been assessed when he first rent into the care home and before any questions were asked about his money and before he was means tested. The health and social care authorities have failed in their duty to carry out the proper assessments and you may well have a positive retrospective claim. The local authority could have been in an illegal position before your father died, as they effectively took responsibility for care that was probably behind their legal remit. http://caretobedifferent.co.uk/nhs-continuing-healthcare-should-social-workers-be-involved/

  21. James 3 weeks ago

    My Mother-in-law has an undiagnosed progressive neurological condition. She currently part owns her own flat in an extra care facility, and has regular carers that are funded through NHS continuing healthcare. Her needs are increasing and I think the current company providing care are struggling to cope. We are reluctant to move her from her flat as it has been heavily modified and is close to a lot of her family.
    Ideally, we think the best care for her would be provided by a personal assistant who is with her during waking hours, who can then coordinate her complex care needs with other carers.
    We are worried that due to the problems with her current care company, she will be forced into a home, none of which we have viewed so far will be able to cater for her very complex needs. Is getting personal assistant type care in her own home feasible?


    • Author
      Angela Sherman 3 weeks ago

      James – It sounds as though your mother-in-law needs live-in care. From experience I know that the NHS will often insist on putting in place their own carer when a person is funded through Continuing Healthcare. This may not always be ideal, though.

  22. Darren 3 weeks ago

    In 2008 the council and district nurse said my late father would not qualify. This was before they had even seen him.
    I have been appealing ever since. A ten year retrospective review has just been completed, does not qualify. The matter is however under appeal with NHS England (because while the PCG manager was off long term sick, and thus his case was not heard, my father passed). I am awaiting that appeal date. I have been in the retrospective process since June 2014, a month after he passed. It is my experience that councils and the NHS will try every trick in the book. I happen to have a video of my father from 2009, which NHS England considered would be very useful with the retrospective process but which the last manager decision maker refused to allow as “evidence” at his *new* retrospective review. I have also been in contact with the legal firm recommended by Nicola Mackintosh who in 1999 represented Pam Coughlan.

    • Author
      Angela Sherman 3 weeks ago

      The reports we receive from many families echo your own sentiments, Darren.

  23. Maggie Davidson 3 weeks ago

    My father is being assessed for Continuing Healthcare so I’m going to have a look at your book, however a quick question I have is if his is eligible can we have a say in what home he goes into or will the NHS choose it?


  24. Heidi 2 weeks ago

    About 9 months ago my grandfather had a bad fall and ended up in hospital . For the next few months he started to deteriorate. He lost the use of his legs, very limited mobility and prone to falling but tried to walk and would end up having to go back into hospital. Each time the hospital would discharge him to a home whilst care was sorted out by the social services. After the first fall home care was arranged for carers to attend four times a day. At this point we were told to fill in the financial assessment. Also the social services stated that he should not be in his house on his own therefore my grandmother could not go out when she wanted. When he was in hospital he had assessments but when we have asked for results they have failed to inform us. They failed to tell us that he was on medication when we enquired. After the last time he went in to hospital they said that he needed a night carer for incontinence but the social service agency could not provide this as he became aggressive with the careers, so the agency refused to take him back on, other agencies could not provide this service so they said that he could not go home and would need to be placed into a residential home. This was just before Christmas. Since then we have been sent a bill from homes he went to after hospital discharges. Is this something that we should be billed for? The social services have never informed us of NHS continuing healthcare. I was wondering if we should have been made aware of this when he was put in permanent residential care? He is also starting to forget who people are and I do not believe he has had the correct assessments.

  25. Steve Hassell 2 weeks ago

    My 86 year old Dad was granted CHC whilst in hospital. He has Vascular dementia, is PEG fed, diabetes and has had several TIA’s.
    He went into a nursing home in October where he is being looked after very well. A recent assessment for CHC has deemed he is now no longer entitled. We are thinking of appealing this decision because although he has settled in quite well he is still prone to flair ups and mood swings.
    The CHC was completed whilst he was in hospital, the staff there filled it all in so we did not see what was written down at all. Are we now entitled to see this form if it would help with an appeal?



  26. Diana 2 weeks ago

    I’m reading with great interest your info on CHC. My mum is 88, had a memory test via her GP on our instigation as we feel she has Alzheimer’s which is progressing rapidly. She lives in her own home and because I became homeless myself a year ago, I live with her. I am 64. If she needs to go into a home soon, is it correct that because it is also my home, that it cannot be sold to pay for care fees whilst I live there? Would it be a case of ‘deferred payment’, in other words, if I were to leave that house, THEN the fees owed would have to be paid?

  27. Caroline Brown 2 weeks ago

    My dad has Alzheimer’s. Since December we have been to A&E three times. Once from him calling saying if he had a gun he would kill himself. Second having a fall and breaking his arm and third from me not being able to pick him up after a fall. He called police last week because of hallucinations and I had to call day after as he went missing.
    I can’t cope as an only child with no family and I am thinking I probably need permanent care for him.
    He has also been classed as ‘terminal’ from the hospital as he has pre-cancerous cells near his pancreas.
    Do you think I might be entitled to CHC funding? The cost of care is extortionate and dad is probably classes as self funding as he owns his own home but it doesn’t mean I can afford permanent care without making life changing sacrifices. I just don’t want to seem silly in applying if he has no chance!

  28. Nicole 1 week ago

    Hello – my 40 year old brother has recently moved to a care home nursing bed. Although he has Continuing Healthcare funding (CHC), the care home is rationing or not ordering the items he needs: Swedish noses for his tracheostomy, glycerin swabs for his mouth and adult nappies. When asked, the response is these are “nursing items and not items care homes can order, they are not available via the GP”. His social worker has tried but keeps getting the same reply. But the home has said we can have them if we buy them. Are these items that the family is expected to obtain or are they included in the Continuing Healthcare funding? The care home is charging £2000.00 per week.

  29. Allison 5 days ago

    Hi, my uncle has vascular dementia. He has been self funding in a residential home for 18 months. He is currently in hospital having had a bad heart attack. He is quite poorly and I want him to return to the care home. They are happy to have him back but I want the hospital to fast track him for CHC. He doesn’t have to be in a nursing home does he? It’s his home, so I’m guessing he’s entitled to CHC funding the same as if he was at home?

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *