Make sure you’re claiming all the benefits you’re entitled to
These may include:
- Attendance Allowance: This is not means-tested. (Note: If/when you receive NHS Continuing Healthcare your Attendance Allowance may stop; note – it may not necessarily stop if you’re receiving care at home – always check); read more about Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance: From 2013 this will be replaced by the new Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Pension Credit
- Winter Fuel Payment: This is not means-tested.
- Warm Home Discount: If your name or your partner’s name is on your fuel bill, you could be eligible for this
- 12-Week Property Disregard: Remember that your local authority cannot take the value of your property into consideration as part of your assets for the first 12 weeks of your Care
- Housing Benefit: While you’re still living at home, make sure you’re receiving the right Housing Benefits
- Registered Nursing Care Contribution (Funded Nursing Care)
- Carers Allowance (if relevant)
- Note about Council Tax: If your home is empty, your Council Tax bill may be nil; and if you’re a carer for a disabled person you may be entitled to a discount
- Deferred Payment Arrangements: Instead of selling your home to pay for care, you may be able to negotiate a Deferred Payment Arrangement with your local authority; it means you keep hold of the property, the local authority pays your care fees for the time being, and those fees are repaid to the local authority once the house is eventually sold.
[Note: this is not a comprehensive list.]
Care To Be Different does not provide financial advice. We strongly recommend you take professional and independent financial advice when making any decisions about Care Planning, tax and Benefits.
For more information about benefits, explore some of the websites on our links and resources page. The Alzheimer’s Society website has useful information, as does Carers UK.
NHS Continuing Healthcare
This is NHS funding and it covers 100% of your care fees. Find out more about NHS Continuing Care and how you can claim it.